Now when you decided to choose the voice-over as the career choice, you should become familiar with everything that is going in the market to become a good voice-over artist. As the voice-over industry is multi-faceted so one should become familiar with the different voice-over services in the industry.
Voice-over service offers a full range of tailored work given by any voice-over talent to the clients. It's important to know this service depends on your voice quality and style that you provide to the work, as a normal recording of the voice can be done by the engineer also; but skills and quality in the sound can be placed by the voice artist with updated knowledge of software and other skills.
An experienced voice-over artist can enhance their career by specializing in various voice styles. As of now, the industry is vast enough with various options like T.V, radio, audiobooks, movies, announcement videos and many more list keep adding.
What is voice-over?
It is the production technique of voice by voice-over artist for use in a professional piece of audio work. Where the voice is recorded for off-screen or off-stage use, in which voice is not part of the narrative, and is used in radio, T.V production, filmmaking, Theatre.
It required other processes wherein the recorded voice will be mixed, edited, and mastered to ensure superior quality work, after this it's ready to be played for T.V, radio, film, theater.
Types of voice over services
Before starting the project one should know a different type of voice-over services and which services match your voice best to 100 percent to the work. Here are few services available in the industry.
1. For promotional ads: In commercial voice service one needs to grab the attention of the customer in the process making them understand a certain product, service, or event. So in this field voice needs to be charismatic and trustworthy this will make the audience take interest in the particular brand and services for which promotion is done.
2. Automated dialogue replacement: It involves re-recording dialogues in a studio to replace the original recording that took place on set. It's mostly done in films.
3. Corporate opportunities: Many businesses make corporates videos for their customers, for these videos they need some voice actor to tie their message together. It will hold more attention of the people than one can do with text services.
4. Services for film: In this voice service is the most powerful tool in storytelling. Narration can also explain the history of a lead before going to the older version of the same character. Many times voice-over narration adds more life to scenes.
5. E-learning: This is the best alternative for good and learning classes or organizations. This allows children to gain new knowledge and make their understanding clearer; great voice-over talent can figure out the proper tone and diction which is best for learning.
6. Audio books: Due to the increasing demand for audiobooks in recent years among customers, voice-over services are flourishing in the market. But for this service, you need to have your demo reels with skills of having both male-female voices which show your ability to do different character voices, and must be comfortable with reading long chapters. For this service, you also need to master the different breathing techniques to sound more naturals.
7. Video games: It's similar to doing a character for animation work. As now day video games are not the same how they use to be in the '90s with only sound and music in the background, nowadays it needs complex sound effect, with the human voice which can give a natural feel to the player and also let them connect with the game more easily.
Apart from knowing all the services of voice over one must check with the market to set their budget, script to prepare for recording so the script should have a clear message, and home studio for recording good quality soundproof work.