The voice is one of the most important tools for actors, which adds nuance and breathes new life into the characters. There is a difference between a good performance and a goosebump-inducing showstopper. There is a difference between a good performance and a goosebump-inducing show stopper. Voice over studios hire the best voice over actors who have made an effort to train their voice to deliver lines and bring the text to life.
We will give you the top 10 voice over work tips for screen actors, voice-over actors and all performances alike or anyone who experiences physical demands on their voice. By reading this article, you will understand how to strengthen and take care of your voice.
1. Always warmup: Before you go for every audition or every rehearsal and performance, take 5 minutes to do a warmup. It is better to fit in some mindful voice work every day to improve your voice.
2. Practice sight-reading: When you recite books or scripts that you've never read before, it is better to read them aloud. Reading aloud is an important part of any audition, and the more you do, the better you will become. It is better to look up at the end of thoughts and will help you become more convincing. Voice over studios have professional voice actors who have a strong voice to recite any part.
3. Breathe at punctuation: It sounds very obvious, but punctuation usually divides the text into thoughts. Hence, it is important to breathe at punctuation to comprehend the character's thoughts better. But you should pay careful attention when breathing because if there is no punctuation, you will be in danger of unintentionally transforming that speech into a list.
4. Relax the jaw: The movement of the jaw creates room in the mouth for the term to move freely. This is an important part of the mouth that actually creates the shape for us to articulate sounds. Try practicing "ahhhh" with a tense jaw, and then listen carefully to the difference when you allow the jaw to draw open.
5. Strengthen your tongue: Make funny faces or do exercises such as letting the jaw drop open and pointing out the tongue forward- making a touch to the top lip, bottom lip, bottom teeth, top teeth, behind your top teeth, and the floor of the mouth. These exercises, if done in repeat sequences, can strengthen your tongue.
6. Shape the words: Each combination of vowels and consonants will give you a different feel when spoken differently. Voice over studios have experienced voice over actors who are aware of the physical sensation of speaking these texts.
7. Practise good alignment: You should ensure that your posture is aligned correctly because your body is the carry case for your voice. For instance, your pelvis is the foundation stone of the spine, so you should try to talk through the back in order to make your neck straight rather than curved.
8. Yawn: Yawning is one of the best voice surprises that voice over actors can practice because it leads to reduced construction in the throat. You can make it a part of your warm up exercises also.
9. Breathe consciously: If we are stressed or shocked, then once in a while, we all forget to inhale. Breathing is the power behind your voice, and therefore you should know when you're breathing because it might lead to shallow, throaty vocal delivery. Voice over studios have voice over actors who have gained a sense of how the muscles contract to help the diaphragm push the air out of the body.
10. Drink water: Staying hydrated is one of the most important tips for maintaining a healthy voice. You should drink at least a couple of liters a day and carry water around with you while doing any voice work.
To Known More: What Makes Professional Voice Over Services Important?